Friday, July 6, 2012

Lake Tahoe


I celebrated my "Golden Birthday" this year--30 on the 30th! Paul took me to Lake Tahoe for the weekend to celebrate and we had so much fun. It was our perfect mix of adventure, activity, beautiful scenery, good food, sleeping in, relaxing and conversation. I love being 30! 

Highlights:  We flew into Sacramento airport and stopped on our way to see a new Krispy Kreme restaurant  Paul's company opened. I got a backstage tour and a sampling of donuts.

Our first full day there we biked the Flume Trail. It was recommended by friends and was a highlight of the trip. It was 4 miles of steep incline in the beginning. Going from sea level to 6000 feet the day before didn't help--we were sucking air big time. We pushed through and it was so worth it. The next 9 miles were some of the best views I've ever seen. It was a bit stressful trying to not fall off the trail to my death and enjoy the views, but I stopped along the way and made it out ok. It was my first time on a fancy mountain bike, fully suspended, and honestly I was a bit terrified flying down the mountain. Thanks to my brakes, I managed not to fall and the ride was so fun! A couple days after our trip we mentioned to a friend, and mountain biking enthusiast, at home that we'd ridden this trail and he exclaims "That's an internationally acclaimed mountain biking trail. You did that your first time mountain biking!?"  We don't mess around.
 

Can you spy Paul?

Saturday was my birthday. We went horseback riding, hiked down to Emerald Bay and Emerald Falls, kayaked out to an island in the middle of Emerald Bay and had a picnic lunch. Loved all of it.

 
 

Birthday dinner on the lake.

Before flying home Sunday evening we went to church, explored the South shore of Tahoe (we preferred the North--where we stayed), had a picnic on the beach, walked around some fancy mansions and caught a glimpse of the state capitol in Sacramento. 

Loved our weekend in Tahoe. Hope to be back soon!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Awesoooome!! I love all your pics. It's so beautiful and you guys look so happy to be there. I'm so glad you got to go on this trip - you deserved it!