Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween!

Halloween celebrations began last Friday for us. We were getting ready to go the Halloween parade at Kate's school when I noticed her hair looking a little weird. That's when I found this:
Hair all over the playroom floor. Awesome. "Kate, what happened to your hair?" "It was getting too long, Mom". She climbed up and got her blunt tip scissors off the shelf to give herself a little haircut. Breathe. It could have been worse. She chopped the sides of her hair off about 4 inches long. Thankfully not her bangs. I tried to make it look as decent as possible for her school parade with lots of hairclips and pigtails and later she got a proper haircut. It still looks a little weird, but I guess it's something a kids got to go through. The scissors are off limits for a while now.
After we got over the haircut incident, we made it to her school parade. They paraded down the street, complete with police escort to stop traffic, and went to the old folks home to sing Halloween songs they'd been practicing. I know I'm biased, but it was pretty cute. Kate has got a little friend Heidi at school that she's holding hands with in the picture and eating her snack with. They seem to be best buds at school and wait for each other on the playground each morning. Then run off together holding hands. It's pretty sweet.
Saturday we carved pumpkins, read Halloween books and ate too much candy. We went to Halloween parties Saturday and Sunday night all dressed up. A pirate, his lady, a princess and (surprise, surprise) a ladybug. By Sunday night we were sick of sugar and ready to move on to the next holiday. It was a blast, though! Having kids makes the holidays a lot more exciting.

8 comments:

Steve and Erin Larsen said...

Oh no-- I think every little girl experiences that at least once in their life! Hopefully she will leave cutting her hair up to the professional from now on! She looks cute with her new cut though! Glad you guys had a good Halloween!

Becca said...

Ah, Kate! Nice haircut, girl! Looks like a great Halloween! The ladybug is a hit! Gwen looked terrific! And Kate's costume looks adorable!

I agree...Halloween seemed to drag a little too long this year. Bring on November!

trisha said...

I can just imagine you being so patient. Looks like a fun halloween!

Brett and Lisa said...

awesome costumes, guys!!

Unknown said...

Oh I love it! Yep I went through that same thing twice when I was a kid. And what cute Halloweeners you were!

Matt and Rachel Bowden said...

One of our sunbeams cut their bangs and it looked really funny. It must be a 3-4 year old thing to do. Cute costumes!

Josh said...

Wow, you guys look great. Carving pumpkins in shorts! I miss California.

Maria said...

The costumes you and Paul wore are awesome! Looks like you had a lot of fun as usual and Kate still is super adorable even after the hair cut. :)