A visit to the Japanese Gardens.
To start with the lows, on labor day Gwen was in a near drowning accident at our cousins pool. The images of her unconscious are still haunting me but we are so so thankful she is ok. There are a few details about the experience that I sort of want to remember. The rest of it I'm trying hard to forget but I'm pretty traumatized. In the ambulance all I could think to do was keep talking and singing to her. At this point she was alert but lethargic. When we got to the hospital as we were being wheeled through the emergency room I started describing the murals on the wall. I told her to look for the whales and she said, "Maybe it's a humpback whale". I was so excited to hear her speak, knowing that she was not brain dead and remembered humpback whales!! The other thing I want to remember is her waking up in the morning (not that there really is a morning in the hospital. Day and night is kind of the same.) and the first thing she said was "Mom, can I have breakfast?" Anyone who knows Gwen knows she LOVES food. And her asking for food was a very good thing. Yes, baby! Anything you want for breakfast!
How is that for a low? Now for a high, in the same week we bought a house. We are so excited and have been waiting for this for a long time. We have some work to do to it and are hoping to be in by Christmas. It still doesn't seem quite real.
Harvesting basil for pesto.
Other more normal occurrences (thank goodness) that have been happening this month: Kate started another year at preschool. She is back in the same classroom and loves her teacher and friends. I miss having her home in the mornings, but the routine is good for all of us. Gwen and I are doing a Joy School with a few friends. I just finished up a month long bootcamp that I loved. Getting up early to exercise in the sunshine did a lot for me! Paul has been traveling a lot for work, but is happy to not be waking up at 5:15 am this year to teach seminary. And we like having him around for breakfast. We've got more excitement coming up this month and after a rough start, are trying appreciate these fragile lives and moments that may seem ordinary but are all that matter.
p.s. Gwen is finishing up her second week of survival swim lessons. She's almost mastered the back float. I don't care how much it costs. And I threw Kate in the pool with her clothes on last week. Three times. Kind of mean, but I had to make sure she could get back to the side. She passed. :)
p.s. Gwen is finishing up her second week of survival swim lessons. She's almost mastered the back float. I don't care how much it costs. And I threw Kate in the pool with her clothes on last week. Three times. Kind of mean, but I had to make sure she could get back to the side. She passed. :)



10 comments:
What, what what!?!? We need to talk about all of this!!! Congrats on the house, glad gwen is ok. Let's get together soon.
We are beyond thrilled that Gwen is doing well!! I just about burst into tears reading about the experience.
Congrats on the house.
We are super excited to see you guys. Shoot me an email if you get a chance. I would love to talk details for Thanksgiving. I am not sure if I have your correct email address.
Jill- I can only imagine how traumatizing and scary that experience with Gwen was. My heart just sank as soon as I read it. That is every parents nightmare. I am so glad that she is ok and that she is mastering the back float in her classes. I also had to laugh that you threw Kate in the pool with her clothes on but can completely understand and am pretty sure I would do the same thing.
On the other side of things, congratulations on the house! I can't wait to see it and hope you have fun with projects and fixing things up how you want.
Wish I could just give you a big hug. You are doing a great job handling all these big events-- both the highs and lows! Love you!
Jill, What a month! Oh my goodness! There has not been a day that goes by that I don't think about Labor day and the "what if's". SO grateful she is o.k. and that you are o.k. Oh wow, that was scary.
So glad the swimming lessons are going well.
I think I'll throw my kids in the pool with their cloths on this week. Great idea!
After Labor day, I got all three kids in private lessons, they start on Wed. We also put in a land line (in case we need to dial 9-1-1). That shook us up pretty good. You all were in our prayers big time. We love you guys!
WE are SO SO SO excited about the house! That is AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see it!
Let's play soon! Miss you girl!
Jill, I can't believe it! All of it! Gwen, sweet Gwen, I'm so relieved to hear that all is well. I think I would fall apart seeing my child unconcious and not knowing what would happen. What a relief!
And congrats on the house! When do you move? When do you post pictures? Wish I could come and help you paint!
Oh my goodness! Jill, I can't imagine how awful that must have been. I am so glad she is okay!
Oh my goodness, I am so glad Gwen is doing well! Good for you for putting her in swim lessons after, I'm sure tht will help her (and you!) to not be as tramatized! Both of your girls are darling!! Congrats on buying a house!
Jill - so glad to hear that Gwen is doing well. It is every parents' nightmare and I'm so happy that everything turned out for the best. Please give Gwen a big kiss and hug from us. We miss you guys! Please come and visit us in HK.
Jill,
I can't imagine how dreadfully scary and traumatizing that would be to experience that! I am SO happy that she is okay. Angels were definitely watching over her that day! I can totally see why you would throw her in the pool and make sure she learns to swim! You are an amazing mom. :)
On a happier note, how exciting that you guys bought a house! That is wonderful news! I can't wait to see how you decorate it! ;) Did you order that table from Hooker Furniture??
Ah! Poor little Gwen! So glad she's okay. That's so super scary though! Things like that can just happen so quickly! And you have to post pics of the house very soon!! Such exciting news!!
Post a Comment