Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September


We're doing our best to try and embrace the idea of Autumn, when it's still 95 degrees outside. We do things like paint leaves orange and hang them up on our green trees with clothespins, so that if you look only at one leaf, you might be fooled that the colors are changing and fall is here! When I announced it was the first day of fall, Gwen ran out to our apple tree (that I planted 6 months ago) and exclaimed "the apples will be here now!". She was disappointed to find no apples

We checked out Pretend Soup--a kids cookbook--from the library and made popovers for breakfast. Paul was out of town and us girls managed to eat the whole dozen. I only had 3! 

Both girls started at new schools and were very excited about it. Kate entered Kindergarten without looking back and was so excited this week to come home with homework! Gwen started preschool and proudly tells everyone that "I went to school today". After months of not napping, her first few days of school tired her out and I found her like this one afternoon.

I've been loving our new routine as it gives me some individual time with each of my girls and still plenty of time with both of them! Kate is a "late bird" so most mornings we do "homeschool". I love it! And she seems to, also. It's the perfect mix of feeling like I am teaching her and helping her and then sending her off to school to learn from someone else and get time with her friends. Sadly, 1st grade hours will be longer, but for now I'm enjoying my time with her. Gwen joins us on mornings she doesn't have preschool, and gets equally excited about homeschool time.
My mom found this dress that I wore my first day of Kindergarten 25 years ago! It was sweet to see Kate wear it. It was a bit short on her though--so she may be taller than me!
 

We had some neighbor friends over for an end of summer swim party. It was actually our first big swim party we've had this summer--mostly because I'm so paranoid about the pool. We hired our sweet babysitter to lifeguard and I felt so much better knowing I could play hostess as well. We are lucky to live on a great street with lots of kids and really friendly neighbors.

Gwen and I spent the morning with friends at the Orange County Great Park, riding the hot air balloon, carousel and visiting their farm and food lab. Their gardens are amazing!

We're still crossing items off our "Summer fun list" and renting a party bike was one of them! Good thing Paul was there to pedal. 

And a few random photos from September. French braids, donuts, packing school lunches, dinner from the grill and Sunday afternoon Candyland games.
 

4 comments:

Eva said...

lookin' good, Tanners! We have the pretend soup book and it is quite a hit. Orion gets it out almost daily. Glad your cute girls are liking school!

Matt and Rachel Bowden said...

Jill you are such a cute mom. I love seeing all the cute things you do with the girls.

Melanie said...

I'm so glad you are a consistant blogger. It is fun to keep up with you and your cute family. I thought I'd give your style of monthly blogs a try. Maybe that will help me be more consistant too :) Happy Fall, hope it cools down for you soon!

Kristy said...

I'll have to check out that pretend soup book. Sounds fun! Gwen is looking so big to me in these pictures. I really love that you have that dress you wore on the first day of kindergarten and that Kate wore it, too. It's darling!