Spring is a great time to celebrate our Earth. It’s especially easy when the sun was shining like it was today. We went to the park, took lots of walks, played with rocks in the back yard, tried to eat the flowers (kate) and had a nice salad for dinner.
In honor of Earth Day Kate donned her new red shoes. Well, not really just on Earth Day, she has been trying these on every day for some time now. One of her favorite activities is to “clean out” her shoe and sock drawer and she always pauses when she gets to these red shoes. She’ll bring them over to me and put her foot out and then stomp all over the house looking down at the red shoes. She must be my daughter…she already loves her shoes. Now I’ve got to teach her that the red shoes probably don’t match with her yellow dress and pink BYU socks.
Also in honor of Earth Day we have started to compost our food scraps. (I know, another reason for my family to tease “organic Jill”). It really is amazing to see how much our garbage has decreased over the past few weeks. We combine scraps with our neighbors on the 2nd and 3rd floors of our house and I must say we have quite the compost pile going in the backyard. Now I’ve just got to start that vegetable garden…
And finally I talked Paul into trying out Cloth Diapers. I’ve always wanted to try cloth diapers, but have felt too overwhelmed by all the options. I found this trial package that lets you try a few different types out, keep them if you like them, or return them and only pay shipping if it doesn’t work out. I’m not making any promises here! Just giving them my best shot for 2 weeks. My main motivations are 1. Cost 2. Environment (Did you know a disposable diaper takes 500 years to decompose in a landfill!?) 3. They are actually pretty cute. Everyone I’ve talked to that has used cloth diapers has had a positive experience… so here goes.

And yesterday we went with Becca and Peter to the renowned Stew Leonard’s in Norwalk, Ct. (This would have been a great earth day activity—minus the traffic.) It’s a very unique grocery shopping/farm/garden experience. Kate loved see the dancing puppets and moo-ing cows. I loved the free samples and chatting with Becca on the way home while Kate and Peter slept in the back seat. Hooray for sleeping babies!
How did you celebrate Earth Day?
7 comments:
What a fun earth day! I thoroughly enjoyed my run this morning and all the fresh blooming flowers and trees...that made me very grateful for our surroundings. I'm curious to hear how your cloth diaper experience goes. I don't think it would be as bad with babies that are Kate's age. I really can't imagine it with Ethan right now.
I don't think you'll like the west coast anymore.....:(
UMMM....Wow, cloth diapers. Let me know how that goes. Glad you had a good earth day. The store you went to sounded fun. Love, the not so "Organic Jill". :)
Wow--Kate looks big there what size does she wear now? I applaud your earth friendly efforts you might even talk us into recycling.
love
MOM
How did I celebrate Earth day?
I went to work. Driving. In traffic. Both ways. Then I had a school group meeting in the evening.
Earth day rocked - just like every other day.
Good for you for going green! I wish that I could make the cloth diaper promise but I have had some bad experiences with siblings growing up. Maybe one day I will change my mind. I dunno. I would be very interested to see how it goes for you. Keep us posted! That really stinks that diapers take that long. Yikes! I found the Fondant recipe online. Just type "rolled fondant recipe" into a google browser. It was a lot of fun to make! You should try it. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I can see you making some amazing cakes for your family. Your little girls just keeps getting cuter!
So I am still thinking about cloth diapers...how did it turn out for you? Which ones did you like? Are you still doing it???
Post a Comment