I always loved Halloween growing up, but the past few years Halloween has come and gone without much thought. We put up a few decorations and passed out candy one year to our 4 trick-or-treaters. I make my pumpkin chili for dinner and Paul and I watch Hocus Pocus. Now that we have Kate it seems a little more exciting and I look forward to celebrating the holiday and starting traditions. Although she won't know the difference for a few more years, it's fun to dress her up and pretend. We're also trying to take advantage of living in New England. This year we decided to take a trip to Sleepy Hollow. It's in upstate New York, only about an hour and a half from here. In preparation for our trip I read the short story today. I found it in the children’s section of the library, although to me it didn't read like a children’s story at all. “From the listless repose of the place and the peculiar character of it’s inhabitants…this sequestered glen has long been known by the name of Sleepy Hollow. A drowsy, dreamy influence seems to hang over the land and pervade the very atmosphere.”
Maybe I am just used to “Sam, I am”. It was an interesting and quick read about the tale of the headless horseman and Ichabod Crane. While I was familiar with the overall concept, I don’t think I had ever read the story before. We also have the movie at the top of our NetFlix queue, so if I can get Paul to stop watching Heroes, we will watch it soon.


We also did a little bit of Halloween decorating around here.Our “little pumpkin” Kate likes to help. Too bad she can’t eat any Halloween candy this year. I guess we’ll have to eat it for her.

3 comments:
Darling decorations Jill--I bet your little pumpkin loves all the festivities. Holidays are so much fun with loved ones to share with--kiss everyone for me. I wish I could see all those lit jack o lanterns that looks really cool. Have fun!
MOM
Take it from a teacher if I put that book in front of one of my kids, they might cry! It's a difficult read.
Ok now I know for sure I couldn't use that book, but for different reasons. There are a lot of anti-halloween parents out there. My favorite arguement I heard today was that she was against Halloween because of her strong christian background. Wow! There are a lot of sinners out there. Including you and your little sock wearing daughter! Oh and your mother. You should all probably start repenting.
Post a Comment