Sunday, October 14, 2007

Jill's {cook}book club


Well my virtual {cook}book club now has 2 members—myself included. Thanks Alicia for the recommendation. Membership is still open, so post a cookbook in the comments to join! I checked this cookbook out from the library and have been enjoying trying new recipes. At first glance I wasn’t too impressed. There aren’t pictures of all of the recipes and some recipes start at the bottom of one page and you have to turn the page to see the rest of the recipe—kind of annoying while you’re trying to cook. However, after trying a few of the recipes, my opinion has changed. My favorites so far have been the Curried Chicken Salad and Merle’s Beef Brisket. This week I plan to try the Broiled Salmon with BBQ Sauce. At the beginning of each recipe the author writes a short paragraph on why she likes the recipe or where it came from or what time of year they cook it, etc. It gives it a familiar feeling, like maybe a friend recommended the recipe instead of some cookbook. Anyway, it’s worth a try. We had some friends over for dinner tonight and I promised to post the brisket recipe. Now that I am a Tanner, I feel obligated to know how to cook a good brisket. Leslie has a great Teriyaki Brisket recipe. Maybe this one will be mine.

3 T garlic powder
3 T onion powder (I left this out—it wasn’t in our pantry)
1 T salt
1 t pepper
Beef Brisket (Ours was about 3.5 pounds)
3 cups canned tomato sauce
4 yellow onions, sliced into thin rings
8 potatoes, cut into quarters (we used new red potatoes, the recipe called for Yukon gold—you choose)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine garlic powder, onion powder (we left this out), salt and pepper in a small bowl. The rub seasoning mixture all over brisket.
3. Place brisket, fat side up, in a heavy ovenproof pan/pot with a tight-fitting lid. Pour the tomato sauce over the meat and scatter the onion rings on top. Cover the pot.
4. Bake brisket for 3 hours, then check it and add ¼ c water if the sauce is too dry. (we didn’t have to.) Arrange the potatoes around the brisket, replace the cover and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 60-70 mins longer.
5. Let brisket stand for 5-10 mins. Trim fat off the top. Slice across the grain. Serve with potatoes.
...
See this post for the first {cook}book club review.

4 comments:

Kari said...

Hi Jill, its Kari! I should've explained our weird blog name when we were over tonight, its kinda weird but you can find the story behind the name on our blog.

I honestly LOVED the brisket. I, of course, have not tasted the Tanner's brisket but I think you've managed to master it perfectly. Way to go!

As for your blog, your Photoshop skills are impressive and your pictures are very cute! Keep up the blogging!

www.hairylady.blogspot.com

Lynley said...

Jill! Your blog is beautiful! Really, I love the design. Kate is so cute! It looks like you're having a fabulous time at Dartmouth! I will have to try some of you recipes sometime! I am trying to be the kind of cook who can post her recipes on her blog too!

Spencer Family said...

Hey Jill, I'm glad you liked the cookbook. Funny, we didn't make any of the recipes you did--I'll have to check it out again and make the brisket. I liked it b/c everything she used seemed fresh and somewhat healthy. The next cookbook I want to try is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I saw her on the Today Show last week and though most of the food sounded really gross it supposedly tastes really good...we'll see. :) Also, I found two cooking based blogs awhile back

http://www.thepioneerwomancooks.com/
http://pimpmydinner.blogspot.com/

and some of the recipes sound kind of good. I haven't made any of them yet but I thought I would pass along the links. :)

Becca said...

Ummm, Jill, I'll be in your cookbook club:) looks great! ps, I finally get how to spell Kate's name...sorry it took so long!