Monday, September 17, 2007

Jill's {cook}book club


Currently I am the only member of the club, but it is open for membership :) One of my recent goals has been to expand our family repertoire of recipes--preferably healthy ones that are simple to make! I checked out this cookbook from the library and now I want to own it. I had a subscription to the Everyday Food Magazine in the past and still have the old issues, however I think this cookbook is much more user friendly. It is divided up according to the time of year (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) to make it easy to find and use ingredients that are in season. It also has a picture of every single recipe which makes it pretty to look at and gives you something to compare your version to. I have tried eight of the recipes so far and only one I wouldn't make again. Our favorites have been the Shrimp, Basil and Tomato pasta and the Tortilla and Black Bean Pie. It also has a "basics" section in the back with info on vinaigrettes, rubs, herbs, etc. Tomorrow night I'm going to try the Shredded Beet and Carrot Salad. We'll see how Kate likes the beets...

5 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, impressive Jill!! Good for you. I wish some of your ambition would rub off on me (Jay probably wishes that too!).

Spencer Family said...

I will have to check that book out--thanks for the recommendation! I am currently working my way through this recipe book (http://www.amazon.com/Food-Live-Earthbound-Organic-Cookbook/dp/0761138994)and have found quite a few recipes that I like. They are all pretty healthy and use lots of fruits and veggies. You should check it out :)

Brett and Lisa said...

I love the everyday fod mag! I used to subscribe, but since coming to NYC, I havn't had the stuff or the space to cook the way I want to. But, they do have great recipies!

Maria said...

the recipes in Parents magazine usually take no more than 30 min. start to finish and we have enjoyed some of their recipes.

I am trying to better at cooking too, so I will give that cookbook a try. Your club should start its own blog to post successful recipes! Just a thought.

Kristy said...

I have loved my Everyday Food magazine subscription. I think it would be even better in a book! I'll have to check it out. I am loving all these book recommendations I am getting from you!!! Keep them coming!