Monday, September 3, 2007

Mmm Peaches

This weekend we went peach picking at Lyman Orchards in Middlefield, Connecticut. The orchards are situated on beautiful rolling hills. You take a bag and go picking. Depending on what's in season they also have strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, apples and pumpkins. We'll definitely go back.
We had a dinner party last night and made peach cobbler with all of our peaches. I used the recipe in the Better Homes and Garden cookbook and it's pretty basic but turned out soo good. The trick is to add coconut. Here is the recipe:

5 c sliced peaches
3 T sugar
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/4 c flour
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 c butter
1/4 c coconut (optional but highly recommended!)

1. Put fruit in 2 qt baking dish, stir in sugar
2. For topping, in med. bowl combine oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut. Sprinkle over fruit.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 mins. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

We had peach and macadamia nut pancakes for breakfast this morning. Mmm I think I might go eat a peach right now. Happy Labor Day!

2 comments:

Jill said...

There is nothing better than fresh peaches off a tree. How fun!

Unknown said...

Those pancakes look delicious! I'll for sure be trying the cobbler, too!

Kate is adorable!! I know I'm late, but congrats!