Grandma Fernley first taught me how to use a sewing machine. It was on an old singer, circa 1900, the kind that are built into the table. It was pure metal and weighed a ton. It could only do a straight stitch, but still sewed like butter even though it was 90 years old. It's hard to come by quality like that these days. I had to post my latest sewing project to show it off for Grandma. Hopefully she reads this post and smiles. I'm still quite an amateur but I'm having fun learning. While my mom never took up sewing and claims all she can do it sew a button on a shirt, I've been lucky to marry well--my mother-in-law Leslie happens to be an excellent seamstress. It's nice to know talented women.
We've had this old chair in Kate's room. I sit in it while I'm nursing her. I know it's not much, but it's an upgrade from the toilet. (Remember the NYC days of sleeping in the bathtub.) We figure we'll get a nice rocker when we have another baby because unfortunately Kate is quickly outgrowing the cuddly stage and now wants to be on the move. So this chair will have to do for now. I found some cute fabric and covered it. Now it's a little more girly.
Here it is in Kate's room.
6 comments:
Jill, That turned out so cute--you are such a good seamstress! You asked where I find my cute fabric...to be honest the best place is quilt stores. You can buy fabric at Joanns and Hobby Lobby and all the big chain craft supply stores but the quality is not as good as if you go to a quilt store where you'll spend $8+ a yard. One of the reasons I've gotten interested in quilting/sewing is because there are now so many cool/fun fabrics out there. Some of my favorites are Freshcut (specifically Heather Bailey's), some of the lines of Moda, and Amy Butler. A lot of the quilt stores will offer sewing/quilting classes. I just went into my local quilt shop and signed up for the class and I am really enjoying it. You should take one!
I am so amazed at you! Wish I could take some credit - but sewing?? isn't that why they invented tape and pins?? Love you and can hardly wait to see that cute room in person!
You are so creative Jill! I love Kate's room. What is that on the wall...did you make those or buy them. They are great!! I am actually a bit jealous of how much you have already done on your place. I think you have more things on your walls than I have on mine and I have been at my house for almost 3 years. Good for you!! A great place to get fabric is on ebay and the seller is elliebella (EllieBella Childrens Store). She is in my sister in laws ward. I go over to her house and pick up fabric. She has a great selection and I think it is not very expensive.
Yeah, what are the cute things on the wall in Kate's room? Her room looks amazing, but that is no surprise. Keep the pictures coming.
THe things on the wall are just paper fans. I used scrapbooking paper and made fans and stapled them together. I got the idea from apartment therapy nursery. It's actually just kinda temporary. I want to find a cool alphabet poster or cards, I might try and make something--we'll see.
Found your blog through Jill Spongberg's blog (my old roomie) Love all of your crafts and these fans are so cute I want to try them, any pointers? If you are still looking for alphabet cards, check these out...
http://www.mahardrygoods.com/item.php?item_id=817&category_id=61&n=0
Post a Comment