Our first night home from the hospital with Kate as a newborn is one that will never be forgotten, for more reasons than one. Of course we were elated to have our baby finally home with us and were happy to leave the hospital. However, what made the night so memorable was that Kate cried the entire night. My expectations of waking up every few hours were too high, as Kate decided to start crying around midnight and didn’t stop until about 6 am. And no, I’m not exaggerating. Why she cried, we still aren’t sure. We speculated that maybe it was all the stimulation from coming home from the hospital, maybe my milk hadn’t come in yet and she was hungry, maybe her stomach hurt… who knows. Whatever it was though, she was not happy. We considered taking her back to the hospital and asking them what was wrong or calling the doctor, but decided we’d wait until morning. And then finally she went to sleep and slept for 5 hours. My mom was there with us in our studio apartment that night (luckily—I don’t know what we would have done if it were just Paul and I) and she said that Kate’s 2 day old cry sounded a lot like Chewbacca from Star Wars. It really did and we nicknamed the crying version of Kate “chewy”. Whenever she got fussy as a newborn it was because her other personality “chewy” had come out. Well the “Chewy” cry has since evolved into kind of a “chewy” laugh. She does this funny little laugh that I can’t really mimic. I’ve never heard another baby do it—its signature Kate. I found this old video we took over Christmas break and I couldn’t stop laughing. I’m sure we think it’s much cuter than you all {because we are her parents} but who doesn’t like to see a baby laugh? Chewy, we are so glad you reincarnated into this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think the laugh sounds more like woody woodpecker. Kate is so cute.
That really is so funny! I didn't make the Chewbacca connection when I've heard her laugh before, but now that you mentioned it, watching the video, it's definitely there.
I love it! It is such a contagious laugh.
That is awesome Jil...It totally make me laugh. You guys need to call george lucas and get her a contract.
OH...You know I LOVE her laugh. It puts a smile on my face every time.
Post a Comment