I just finished this book and can’t stop thinking about it. The name “Julia Child” has always been familiar, however recently my friend Becca re-introduced me to her by talking about her famous cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. After that it seemed like her name was popping up everywhere. I saw this book in the library and picked it up, not expecting much. The book surpassed my expectations! The book is among other things:
- A vividly-rendered travelogue that will transport you to the streets of Paris, the Marseille waterfront and the hills of Provence.
- A tour de force on the cuisine bourgeoise that Julia Child loved and popularized in the United States.
- The love story of Paul and Julia Child or, as they frequently referred to themselves, "PJ" or "Pulia".
- A publishing saga of the herculean efforts associated with the writing and publishing of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, a process that took approximately a decade for volume one and eight years for volume two.
- An autobiography of Julia Child, revealed here as ebullient, dedicated, and almost ruthlessly single-minded in her mission to bring authentic French cookery to the American masses.
I found it even more inspiring that she didn’t even start cooking until her mid-thirties! There is still hope for me! This is an amazing woman. I can’t wait to get my hands on her cookbook(s) and watch more of her television show, The French Chef. I want to learn to properly pronounce all of the beautiful French words in her book and have checked this out from the library to teach me. I said to Paul last night as we were lying in bed “When the dollar is stronger and we have an income, can we go to France?” The last sentence of the book sums it up well “…the pleasures of the table, and of life, are infinite--toujour bon appetit!"
2 comments:
So, when you go to France....uh, can I come?
I have to read this book!!
Still hope?? You are a great cook! I still remember that good soup you made and that cafe rio salad! Yum!
Post a Comment