Sunday, September 28, 2008

childrens books


Kate has always liked books. She still likes a lot of board books but is finally at an age where she'll sit down and listen to a story book. It has been a lot of fun reading some of my favorite books from my childhood with her as well as discovering new ones. We take trips to the library often and lately we've been checking out books on tape (thanks to Maria for the idea). Kate loves sitting and listening to the story while she looks at the pages. Sometimes I read them with her, but it's also a great activity for her to do while I try and get something done. My favorite childhood picture book is The Fourteen Bears in Summer and Winter. Kate now has a copy of her own and she frequently asks to read "the bears". A few of our other favorites are Make Way for Ducklings, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and Counting Kisses. We are always on the lookout for new favorites, especially classics. So, I'm curious, what are some of your (or your children's) favorite books?

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Ashley also loves books. Some that we read just about every day are "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie," "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus," and "Little Quack." She also really likes, "I'm A Big Sister," "I Love My Daddy Because," and "I Love You Through and Through" to name a few.

Unknown said...

My favorites when I was a kid were "Runaway Bunny" and "Harold and the Purple Crayon". Kids books are the best!

Maria said...

Mr. Brown Can Moo, Theres a Wocket in my Pocket, Where the Wild Things Are, and Snuggle Puppy are some of Tanner's favorites

Brett and Lisa said...

I LOVE the book Wondey Wat. It is hilarious! kate might not get it yet, but I cracked up the first time I read it. You should try it!

Brett and Lisa said...

I LOVE the book Wondey Wat. It is hilarious! kate might not get it yet, but I cracked up the first time I read it. You should try it!

LagaFamily said...

We love anything Berenstein Bears books, the If You Give A Mouse A Cookie series, and the Froggy Series by Jonathan London. Hope you enjoy!

Daniel and Emily Munns said...

My favorites include:

The Miss Spider series
Tiki Tiki Tembo
The Giving Tree
The Wizard
The Tale of Three Trees
You Are Special
Stand Back Said the Elephant, I'm going to Sneeze!
Santa Calls

sandee said...

The Rainbow Fish
The Kissing Hand
Corduroy
Love you Forever (my fav)
Ten Little ladybugs
Alexander, and the terible, horrible, no good, very bad day
(even good for adults)
Just to name a few (:

Brooke Williams said...

Our favorites:

space case
wind in the willows
tiki tiki tembo
the terrible horrible no-good very bad day
lyle the crocodile
stone soup
ox cart man
round robin
peter pan
the snowy day
courduroy
mike mulligan and his steam shovel
the little house
alphabet city
city by numbers
madeline

wow, i think i could go on and on...we have been wanting to post about some books like this, so i'll stop by and let you know if we ever do! there are so many good suggestions here...

leslie said...

I loved any of the Audrey & Don Woods Books didn't love the depressing message of "The Giving Tree" but it's supposed to be the most famous children's book of all time. Go figure.
love
MOM