Friday, September 19, 2008

home

Remember in high school and even college (and maybe even now for some of you) when the idea of staying home on a Friday night sounded horrible. Boring. Not cool. No fun. You had to have plans. Something, anything, to go out and do on the weekends. My friends meant everything to me and to miss a night out with them was painful! I can still hear my dad's voice "while your friends are important, they might not always be there. In a few years you may not even talk to those friends, things change. But your family, your family will always be there." I probably rolled my eyes and kept trying to talk him into whatever it was I wanted to go do. And while I do keep in touch with a few friends from high school and many from college, my family is still always there. My family has grown and I now have one of my own. And in a way things have come full circle, because the place I would most like to be on Friday night (and usually am) is home. Home is comfortable and inviting. Everyone likes me and knows me. I can laugh and play and rest and just be myself. Lately Paul and I have the ongoing and never-ending conversation of 'where do we go after graduation?' Not only where do we go, but what is important? Good schools? The people at church? Houses? Neighborhoods? Yes, all are important. But I think what we are realizing is the most important thing is what goes on in those four walls. The people in them and the time spent together. Yes, resting at home on a Friday night is my favorite place to be.

5 comments:

sandee said...

Oh it is so nice to know someone was listening, bless you. Love, Dad

Maria said...

Not everyone feels that way, it means you and Paul are doing something right! There is beauty all around when there is love at home. ;)

Becca said...

Such wise words! What a good reminder to us, as we are having the same conversations. Although, it would be nice to know that we were going where the Tanners are going...ah, well.

Unknown said...

I agree. I it is kind of nice not having to stess about weekend plans anymore. Just take it easy and hang out at home.

Kristy said...

Deciding where to go is such a huge decision to make. It sounds like you've got great perspective though! I think the hardest part for me is figuring out where the balance is of focusing on us and our own small family and also being able to have extended family in our lives on a frequent basis. It's tough...but I know you will make the decision that is right for you! The pictures of your home are so inviting and comfortable. Who wouldn't want to spend Friday night there?!? :)