Thursday, August 16, 2007

First day of school

So today was the first day of orientation for Yale's School of Management Program. It was interesting to meet all of the people who came from various backgrounds. We are starting the program with a Leadership Development Seminar by the Strozzi Institute. The guy is a 6th degree black belt or something and relates leadership to a lot of skills learned in the martial arts. He talks about centering yourself and getting in touch with your physical reactions to better understand your leadership and conversational reactions. It's all a bit abstract for me (especially coming from accounting), but I suppose I'll suspend my disbelief for a few more days and see if I can take away some practical techniques. I do agree that it takes more than words to be a good leader - body language, confidence, and character all play a part in the impressions we give.

Anyway, it was fun meeting people with such diverse backgrounds. There are people from the standard business school feeders like I-banking, consulting, and then there are people that worked for non-profits, theatrical fundraising, teachers, etc. Should be interesting learning everyone's story.

Oh, I almost forgot - I was assigned to go to Tokyo, Japan on my international experience trip! Looking forward to it in January 2008.

No comments: