The only book of Tolkien's I actually managed to finish--and enjoy--was The Hobbit. Tolkien depicted Hobbits as fond of an unadventurous bucolic life of farming, eating, and socializing, although capable of defending their homes courageously if the need arises. They lived in underground homes or "hobbit-holes" in the side of hills. When I first saw The Lord of the Rings, I loved the beginning scenes of Gandalf riding through the Shire. I want to find a place like that to live! Green, simple, nice people, good food and parties. Yes, please!

So the other morning when I was trimming up the garden and throwing my clippings on the ground, Kate and Gwen were busy turning their log cabin into a green hobbit-hole. Kate says, "Mom, look I've decorated my log cabin with prosemary [rosemary]. Isn't it beautiful! It even has a chandelier!" She was proud of her work and while her idea may have been inspired by Mary and Laura's dugout On the Banks of Plum Creek, I was reminded of the little green house in the shire.


3 comments:
So sweet!
LOVE IT! "Prosemary" and all!
I agree and I am very impressed with your vocabulary!
Post a Comment