Sunday, November 25, 2007

Plymouth

Friday we drove 2 hours north to Plymouth, Massachusetts. It seemed fitting to visit the site of the first Thanksgiving feast. Kate all bundled up and ready to go--it was cold!
We went to Plimoth Plantation where they recreate villages that existed during the 1600's. At the Wampanoag Homesite the "Native People" told about their culture and history and demonstrated what life was like for them during the 17th century.

The 1627 English Village was a re-creation of the small farming town built by English colonists in the midst of the Wampanoag homeland. The people were costumed role players who took on the names, viewpoints and life histories of the people who actually lived in the colony in 1627, popularly known as the "Pilgrims" today.
We also visited the Mayflower II. This ship arrived in Plymouth in 1957 and is a replica of the original Mayflower. Plymouth Rock is, well, a rock. It is smaller than you would expect, only about 3 feet long.
We went out to dinner and stayed the night in Providence, RI. Kate and Peter were pretty excited to be out of the cold!

5 comments:

Jacki said...

Isn't that lady freezing!

Jacki said...

You made my day. I love you! You've been my numbero uno. I know what you're thinking. But, no it's you, it's this Jill. You know who Jacki is.

Jacki said...

I was thinking of you when I wrote that. I was also secretly pining for you to feel that way :) along with the crown and the trophy and the 4.0. But that was the most important on the list.

Becca said...

Love the pics! We had a blast with you guys--thanks again for letting us tag along!

I'll never forget Kate and Pete at the restaurant! So cute! And then not so cute when Peter started throwing food all over the floor:)

Maria said...

What a neat way to spend Thanksgiving.