Friday, June 13, 2008

Ah, summer

One of my favorite things about summer is the food. Produce is so fresh and flavorful and can be found locally grown. This summer my parents joined a CSA and get a box of fresh produce delivered to their door once a week. This week beets were included in the box. I like beets but have never been able to cook them well, so I'd given up trying. I read about this salad that used roasted beets so I thought I'd give that a try--it was delicious and so easy! Just wrap the beets in foil, bake at 400 degrees for about an hour and that's it. You can stick them in the fridge to use later or use them right away. Just peel, cut and serve. I served them over salad greens with blue cheese crumbles and an orange vinaigrette. We've been eating this salad all week.

Another reason I love food in the summer is because you can eat it outside! Tonight was one of those perfect summer nights to dine alfresco and we had the perfect meal. We like to eat homemade pizza on Friday nights. Tonight we topped it with pesto sauce, fresh tomato, riccotta and yellow squash. It was delicious. Ah, summer. Nice food, nice weather, time with my favorite people. It was a perfect evening.
Kate loves pizza as much a we do (what kid doesn't like pizza) and we can sneak in a few vegetables. She especially liked playing after dinner. Paul serves up quite the cup of tea. I love watching those two.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Cool, Jill!

The food looks so good! We have a pizza party every Friday too. I'll have to try this pizza recipe. Have you ever grilled pizza? I'm curious.

I'll have to try the beets!

Brett and Lisa said...

I roasted beets today! I am making the salad tomorrow! You made it sound so good, so I am giving it a shot!