My parents left today for Europe. This is their first trip abroad ever (besides Mexico and Hawaii) and I am so excited for them. I think maybe more excited than they are. They always say that they are more of the relaxing vacation type than the sightseeing type. And it is true that after a big trip abroad you sometimes feel so tired that you could use another vacation to rest. Although tiring and sometimes frustrating (coming from a girl who has lost 2 bags and had 1 stolen) there is something magical about visiting a faraway and new place. Anyone who has traveled and enjoys it knows what I am talking about. It's a giddy, exciting, butterflies in your stomach type feeling to see a new place, try new food, watch new people and enjoy all that our beautiful earth has to offer. The history, fashion, architecture, culture, arts and food found in Europe is amazing and like no where else in the world. I also think traveling gives one a greater perspective and makes you step out of your little comfort zone in life and look at how other people live. While I loved traveling through Europe, I also loved seeing little shanty towns in Argentina (and being very grateful I didn't live in one). And probably the greatest thing you learn while traveling is just how good home is. Because no matter how great the trip is--it's always good to be home. Parenting toddlers doesn't really allow for exotic or faraway traveling, not yet anyway--however our wanderlust continues. At dinner tonight Paul and I listed our top 5 places we'd like to travel to: 1. Thailand, 2. Spain, 3. France, 4. Australia & New Zealand (because you can't go all the way over there and not visit both) 5. Africa. As our family grows and our responsibilities increase it will become more of an effort to travel. (As well as an expense.) When we tell ourselves that it will be too hard I always think of our good friend Skyler. Skyler grew up traveling all over the world and his family's motto is "it's all about the experience". He tell us that his mom is one of the most frugal people he knows when it comes to "things". Instead they spend money on amazing vacations. (Recently his parents took all of their children and spouses on a chartered boat through the Galapagos Islands.) It's a long way off until our kids will appreciate a great traveling vacation (kate would be more interested in the rocks at this point). But I dream of having some great experiences traveling with our kids. (maybe that's an oxymoron?)
4 comments:
That is so fun that they are going over to Europe.... It brings back memories...South African boys, gelato! Ha Ha
Will you call us when you start planning a trip to Thailand? Seriously.
Fun! Well, we are so glad you are here! We are going to have to get together soon! I will email you and we can coordinate calendars!
I am so excited for them! I had all of those "traveling with my family dream" but unfortunately, my husband doesn't go along with them. I really think that Hawaii is the most he will ever do. Good thing that I traveled before I got married!!
Post a Comment